Published: February 20, 2009Shaun (left) and Shane (right)
ST. CHARLES – Shane and Shaun Seuschek have been swimming together for nine years, ever since Shane's swim teacher first made the recommendation when he was 8 years old. His little brother, Shaun, who was 6 at the time, was signed up, as well.
Now the two have made a name for themselves as members of the St. Charles East swim team, and for the first time will compete together in the IHSA St. Charles East Sectional at 9 a.m. Saturday at the Norris Recreation Center pool.
A junior, Shane is the veteran of the two, looking to make a third trip to the state meet. Last year, he competed with the 200- and 400-yard freestyle relay teams, but did not qualify beyond the first day of competition.
This year, Shane is setting his sights higher.
"This has probably been my best season," he said, "I've trained with more intensity this year than I did freshman or sophomore year."
But for Shaun, a freshman, just getting to state would be a victory.
"I'm really looking to make my times," Shaun said.
Together, along with seniors Adam Carnell and Ken Tiltges, they will swim in the two freestyle relays Shane competed in last year. East coach Joe Cabel says together, they've got a chemistry that cannot be coached.
"Teamwork is important," Cabel said, "and as brothers, they have an advantage that way. I've never seen anything negative toward either of them."
Indeed the brothers say they usually get along just fine, without any petty sibling rivalry or competitiveness.
"[We're] friends, you know," Shaun said. "I get a ride, and he gets company."
Sibling unity will take a backseat in one event. Both Seuscheks are swimming the 200 individual medley.
However, Shane says his competitive spirit stays in the pool when it comes to his brother.
"Yeah, it's not like at the dinner table he says, 'I'm going to get you,'" Shaun said, adding, "That usually happens during the race."
Cabel says the IM speaks to how well-rounded both of them can be in the pool.
"They're both good all-around swimmers," he said, "but they are different as brothers. Their body types are different, their event strengths are different."
Shane, for example, also is competing in the 100 freestyle, while Shaun will swim in the 100 backstroke.
The brothers say they do not give each other pointers so much as they cheer each other on when they're swimming. To them, they are just members of the close-knit team, hoping to get as many Saints to state as possible.
"I enjoyed it a lot," Shaun said of his first year on the team. "I had a lot of fun with the upperclassmen and also my class, but I'm going to miss all the seniors that are leaving."
Before then, they have sectionals in the pool they've been practicing in for years.
"The good thing about this meet is that it's in our pool," Cabel said, "There is a home-field advantage."
Shane echoed that confidence, saying, "We know what the water's like, what the pool is like, what each block is like. You know Lane 1... 2 and 3 are pretty sturdy, 4 is a bit weird..."
As to any possible pressure from their competitors, including cross-town and Upstate Eight Conference rival St. Charles North, Shane says that he's more focused on internal pressure to simply qualify for the big meet – where he can do some real damage.
"Going into the sectionals, I'm going to be more focused on getting the times, rather than what place we're in," he said. "Getting a place in sectionals isn't as cool as getting a place in state."
Now the two have made a name for themselves as members of the St. Charles East swim team, and for the first time will compete together in the IHSA St. Charles East Sectional at 9 a.m. Saturday at the Norris Recreation Center pool.
A junior, Shane is the veteran of the two, looking to make a third trip to the state meet. Last year, he competed with the 200- and 400-yard freestyle relay teams, but did not qualify beyond the first day of competition.
This year, Shane is setting his sights higher.
"This has probably been my best season," he said, "I've trained with more intensity this year than I did freshman or sophomore year."
But for Shaun, a freshman, just getting to state would be a victory.
"I'm really looking to make my times," Shaun said.
Together, along with seniors Adam Carnell and Ken Tiltges, they will swim in the two freestyle relays Shane competed in last year. East coach Joe Cabel says together, they've got a chemistry that cannot be coached.
"Teamwork is important," Cabel said, "and as brothers, they have an advantage that way. I've never seen anything negative toward either of them."
Indeed the brothers say they usually get along just fine, without any petty sibling rivalry or competitiveness.
"[We're] friends, you know," Shaun said. "I get a ride, and he gets company."
Sibling unity will take a backseat in one event. Both Seuscheks are swimming the 200 individual medley.
However, Shane says his competitive spirit stays in the pool when it comes to his brother.
"Yeah, it's not like at the dinner table he says, 'I'm going to get you,'" Shaun said, adding, "That usually happens during the race."
Cabel says the IM speaks to how well-rounded both of them can be in the pool.
"They're both good all-around swimmers," he said, "but they are different as brothers. Their body types are different, their event strengths are different."
Shane, for example, also is competing in the 100 freestyle, while Shaun will swim in the 100 backstroke.
The brothers say they do not give each other pointers so much as they cheer each other on when they're swimming. To them, they are just members of the close-knit team, hoping to get as many Saints to state as possible.
"I enjoyed it a lot," Shaun said of his first year on the team. "I had a lot of fun with the upperclassmen and also my class, but I'm going to miss all the seniors that are leaving."
Before then, they have sectionals in the pool they've been practicing in for years.
"The good thing about this meet is that it's in our pool," Cabel said, "There is a home-field advantage."
Shane echoed that confidence, saying, "We know what the water's like, what the pool is like, what each block is like. You know Lane 1... 2 and 3 are pretty sturdy, 4 is a bit weird..."
As to any possible pressure from their competitors, including cross-town and Upstate Eight Conference rival St. Charles North, Shane says that he's more focused on internal pressure to simply qualify for the big meet – where he can do some real damage.
"Going into the sectionals, I'm going to be more focused on getting the times, rather than what place we're in," he said. "Getting a place in sectionals isn't as cool as getting a place in state."
No comments:
Post a Comment